Situated on a high peninsula pointing south and splitting the Intercostal Waterway and Broad Creek, Spanish Wells Plantation is one of Hilton Head Island’s most exclusive and beautiful communities.
Once the site of artesian wells where Spanish explorers stopped to fill their kegs before travelling on, the high land still contains many towering live oaks and indigenous vegetation from earlier times.
Spanish Wells is the site of Battery Holbrook, a Civil War gun placement located adjacent to the Club.
Battery Holbrook was constructed by Confederate forces as an artillery redoubt in the Spanish Wells vicinity on Calibogue Sound. General Order #139, Headquarters, Department of the South, Hilton Head, dated September 26, 1864, officially designated the redoubt as Battery Holbrook in honor of First Lieutenant Henry Holbrook, Third Rhode Island Volunteer Artillery, who was killed August 21, 1863, in action on Morris Island.
Holbrook Grill at Spanish Wells Club was named to honor Henry Holbrook and sits adjacent to this historic landmark.